#ArchiTalks 23 "style"



“Style”
DSCN5279.JPG


Ok, Here’s an old time story…
Back when I went to architecture school and students would say, “Well, I don’t want to change that because:


That’s not my STYLE!”


And the professors would say,


“You are too young to have a style!!!”





And of course I thought I wasn’t too young.  And those words were only mentioned once to me and by the same person I mentioned in a past blog… the project that went wrong and the only project i ever threw out.
And I don’t know if I had a set architectural style yet and I am not sure that I do even today because I think a design might be dictated by the project and the client’s program and quite possibly their style.
 


So…
I think that by my age, I have a style or I have been told that I have a style or people have said that they like my style and I think that it is a style of contrasts, which is why sometimes people have a hard time reading me or they think that I don’t know what my style is. These are usually people who are not in the arts.  These are usually people who I don’t share tastes with.  These are people who might be known as”
“Non-creatives”
These are people who say, “oh, ya, you like plain things”
and I say, “i prefer to use the word, “simple”.
Or, why don’t you put some orange pillows on that black leather sofa of yours?
(Because I don’t want the color orange in my house except at halloween or in a fruit bowl)
Or, why don’t you add a bold necklace to that sweater you’re wearing?
(because i just don’t like them on me snagging my sweaters)


Because, I am pretty sure I know how to dress myself at this age.
And, I am pretty sure that I know how I want my house to look, it is just the huge budget constraint that is holding me back from doing exactly what I want in Real Materials
But thanks to all of those who have felt the need to express that.


Like if you are going to even try and buy me a gift, make it something white, black, gray, stainless steel, silver, glass, wood or leather.


But looking over the years, I think that my style is one of contrasts.
old/new
finished/unfinished
solid/void
hard/soft
rough/gentle




DSCN5261 (2).JPG




So probably the easiest way to show style for me, is just to show you.


Black Sunglasses:
DSCN5281 (2).JPG

These are some of my old ones and the new ones, all the same.  I manage to break an arm off of them and then stick them in an old case on my chest of drawers.


Clothes:
Black turtlenecks
tees, dif colors
Bootleg jeans
Black yoga pants
Long sweaters
Long skirts
Black coats
Black boots
Black clogs


IMG_2999 (3).JPG




DSC_0344 - Copy (2).JPG


Furniture and textiles,and dining
White sheets
Blue duvet covers and
A lot of pillows
Leather couch
Orrefors Crystal
Wedgwood china
Fiestaware
Gorham silverware


IMG_3009 (2).JPG


DSCN5283 (2).JPG


DSCN5282 (2).JPG


Architecture:
Modern
AND
Art Deco
Scandinavian
Wrightian
International Craftsman
My own architectural style when I am not trying to adhere to an existing style is more of a solid/void expressed with intuitive playfulness.
WTH does that mean?  It means that if there is a solid wall, i like to break it up with a window and it may not seem like there is a reason, but it will have a benefit that is intuitive and maybe won’t be explained but makes perfect logical sense.
Why is there a window there? Well, because you have a dark stair but you have a clerestory and i am bringing northern light into the space for your painting here :)


As I said to a client recently… “I don’t always explain everything to you, but there is a method to my madness,,,”


Scan_Pic0011.jpg
Scan_Pic0020.jpg
kaplanscan4 - Copy.jpg


This was #architalks 23, if you would like to see other architects" have to say, please follow the links below, but always have your own style :)



I am now offering sponsorship opportunities and I am grateful for that. Please contact me via my website below for more information.



-->
Enoch Sears - Business of Architecture (@businessofarch)
Bob Borson - Life of An Architect (@bobborson)
http://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/style-do-i-have-any/
Matthew Stanfield - FiELD9: architecture (@FiELD9arch)
Marica McKeel - Studio MM (@ArchitectMM)
Jeff Echols - Architect Of The Internet (@Jeff_Echols)
Lee Calisti, AIA - Think Architect (@LeeCalisti)
style...final words
Mark R. LePage - EntreArchitect (@EntreArchitect)
Evan Troxel - Archispeak Podcast / TRXL (@etroxel)
Lora Teagarden - L² Design, LLC (@L2DesignLLC)
The AREsketches Style
Collier Ward - One More Story (@BuildingContent)
Good Artists Copy; Great Artists Steal
Cormac Phalen - Cormac Phalen (@archy_type)
Nicholas Renard - Renard Architecture (@dig-arch)
Andrew Hawkins, AIA - Hawkins Architecture, Inc. (@hawkinsarch)
Jeremiah Russell, AIA - ROGUE Architecture (@rogue_architect)
Jes Stafford - MODwelling (@modarchitect)
Cindy Black - Rick & Cindy Black Architects (*)
Eric T. Faulkner - Rock Talk (@wishingrockhome)
Name That Stile!
Rosa Sheng - EquitybyDesign [EQxD] (@EquityxDesign)
Michele Grace Hottel - Michele Grace Hottel, Architect (@mghottel)
"style"
Meghana Joshi - IRA Consultants, LLC (@MeghanaIRA)
Amy Kalar - ArchiMom (@AmyKalar)
Michael Riscica - Young Architect (@YoungArchitxPDX)
Stephen Ramos - BUILDINGS ARE COOL (@sramos_BAC)
brady ernst - Soapbox Architect (@bradyernstAIA)
What Style Do You Build In?
Brian Paletz - The Emerging Architect (@bpaletz)
You do you
Michael LaValley - Evolving Architect (@archivalley)
Defining an Architect's Style
Jonathan Brown - Proto-Architecture (@mondo_tiki_man)
Eric Wittman - intern[life] (@rico_w)
Sharon George - Architecture By George (@sharonraigeorge)
Brinn Miracle - Architangent (@architangent)
David Molinaro - Relax2dmax (@relax2dmax)
Emily Grandstaff-Rice - Emily Grandstaff-Rice FAIA (@egrfaia)
Daniel Beck - The Architect's Checklist (@archchecklist)
Jarod Hall - di'velept (@divelept)
What's Your Style?
Anthony Richardson - That Architecture Student (@thatarchstudent)
Lindsey Rhoden - SPARC Design (@sparcdesignpc)
Drew Paul Bell - Drew Paul Bell (@DrewPaulBell)
Greg Croft - Sage Leaf Group (@croft_gregory)
Architectural Style
Courtney Casburn Brett - Casburn Brett (@CasburnBrett)
Jeffrey Pelletier - Board & Vellum (@boardandvellum)
Should You Pick Your Architect Based on Style or Service?
Aaron Bowman - Product & Process (@PP_Podcast)
Samantha R. Markham - The Aspiring Architect (@TheAspiringArch)
5 Styles of an Aspiring Architect
Kyu Young Kim - J&K Architects Atelier (@sokokyu)
Loaded With Style
Nisha Kandiah - ArchiDragon (@ArchiDragon)
Regression or Evolution : Style
Karen E. Williams - (@karenewilliams3)
Jared W. Smith - Architect OWL (@ArchitectOWL)
Rusty Long - Rusty Long, Architect (@rustylong)
Keith Palma - Architect's Trace (@cogitatedesign)
Stylized Hatred
Adam Denais - Defragging Architecture (@DefragArch)
Jim Mehaffey - Yeoman Architect (@jamesmehaffey)
What's in a Style?
Ken Saginario - Twelfth Street Studio ()
Tim Ung - Journey of an Architect (@timothy_ung)
Mark Stephens - Mark Stephens Architects (@architectmark)
Architectalks 23 - Style

Comments

  1. This made me smile: "I don’t want the color orange in my house except at Halloween or in a fruit bowl."

    I look forward to your future ArchiTalks posts.

    Collier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks collier! i think i am finally getting to know who is who with their many aka's. i do want to tell a story, but it would have to be under a pseudonym, like i say when people ask if i want to get my name to the top on google... with a name like this, but i'm already at the top on google...

      Delete
  2. I enjoy the "Method to your Madness"

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts