#ArchiTalks 24 "house" or "home"?

house
hous/
noun
noun: house; plural noun: houses; noun: house music; plural noun: house musics
  1. a building for human habitation, especially one that is lived in by a family or small group of people.


home
hōm/
noun
noun: home; plural noun: homes
  1. the place where one lives permanently, especially as a member of a family or household.


I think a house is an architectural term while a home is a place.



Thirty years ago, U2 released their “album” “Joshua Tree”.  I remember it very well because as a “foreign” band had written lyrics and music about their interpretation of America and other places, I was an American living in a country that wasn’t my own.  I first saw the iconic image of the band in reference to what was then a California State Park as I passed it on my way to the architecture studio on the Stroget in Copenhagen.  Cassettes were pretty expensive there but I really wanted to listen to it, so I bought it.  I listened to the music travelling all over Europe.  It was some of the only music I knew when I returned.  I was essentially going back to the house i remembered, but it didn’t seem like home.







I have lived in 12 homes but only 8 houses, I have designed or been a part of the design of too many homes to count including apartments and vacation homes since 1983 (not including a couple I designed in my high school drafting classes, those are really interesting…).


With a client, I feel like I am designing for them and that it is a solution based on their needs, I am designing a house that is their home, especially in a remodel where you are changing their existing structure to accommodate a change in their life that they want to make.




With a spec house, it's a little different, I am basically designing a house that will be home to people who I have never met, so basically it is based on what I like and think that the plan would work on that site for anyone.  I am designing a home around the way that I live (but with accommodation for television sets) and it gets approval from the developer/contractor and it has to work financially so it is not everything that I would do but it works within the budget and what what he wants to physically build.




I have designed a "dream house" for myself  over the last year and a half and I am hoping that I can someday build it and actually live there.


Here are some photos and drawings of homes and houses that I have lived in during my lifetime and a sketch of one that I would like to eventually have. I am not including anywhere that I lived for less than 6 months, because I don't think that is a home, that is just a place where you slept and ate and bathed but never really called your own...


3129


mghottelarcarchitalks24pics 001 (2).jpg


1533



mghottelarcarchitalks24pics 001 (4).jpg


1304


3069


image (5).png




7875



856 apt E



5 2t.v.




516 apt ___



10837

1604


1608


8428




00000


IMG_3094 (2).JPG


I think everyone should be able to have a place that they can call their home,


everyone.





I am now offering sponsorship opportunities and I am grateful for that. Please contact me via my website below for more information.




Enoch Sears - Business of Architecture (@businessofarch)
Bob Borson - Life of An Architect (@bobborson)
The Designation between House and Home
Matthew Stanfield - FiELD9: architecture (@FiELD9arch)
Marica McKeel - Studio MM (@ArchitectMM)
ArchiTalks: House or Home?
Jeff Echols - Architect Of The Internet (@Jeff_Echols)
House or Home? The Answer to Everything
Lee Calisti, AIA - Think Architect (@LeeCalisti)
our house is home
Mark R. LePage - EntreArchitect (@EntreArchitect)
Emotional Marketing for Architects: House or Home?
Evan Troxel - Archispeak Podcast / TRXL (@etroxel)
Lora Teagarden - L² Design, LLC (@L2DesignLLC)
House or Home? It's in the story.
Collier Ward - One More Story (@BuildingContent)
House or Home? A Choice of Terms
Cormac Phalen - Cormac Phalen (@archy_type)
Nicholas Renard - Renard Architecture (@dig-arch)
Andrew Hawkins, AIA - Hawkins Architecture, Inc. (@hawkinsarch)
Jeremiah Russell, AIA - ROGUE Architecture (@rogue_architect)
house or home: #architalks
Jes Stafford - MODwelling (@modarchitect)
Cindy Black - Rick & Cindy Black Architects (*)
Eric T. Faulkner - Rock Talk (@wishingrockhome)
House or Home -- Discover the Difference
Rosa Sheng - EquitybyDesign [EQxD] (@EquityxDesign)
Michele Grace Hottel - Michele Grace Hottel, Architect (@mghottel)
"house" or "home"?
Meghana Joshi - IRA Consultants, LLC (@MeghanaIRA)
Architalks #24 : House or Home
Amy Kalar - ArchiMom (@AmyKalar)
Michael Riscica - Young Architect (@YoungArchitxPDX)
Stephen Ramos - BUILDINGS ARE COOL (@sramos_BAC)
brady ernst - Soapbox Architect (@bradyernstAIA)
Brian Paletz - The Emerging Architect (@bpaletz)
House or Home? - Depends
Michael LaValley - Evolving Architect (@archivalley)
House or Home? Train for One, Design for Another
Jonathan Brown - Proto-Architecture (@mondo_tiki_man)
Eric Wittman - intern[life] (@rico_w)
Sharon George - Architecture By George (@sharonraigeorge)
Brinn Miracle - Architangent (@architangent)
David Molinaro - Relax2dmax (@relax2dmax)
Emily Grandstaff-Rice - Emily Grandstaff-Rice FAIA (@egrfaia)
Daniel Beck - The Architect's Checklist (@archchecklist)
Jarod Hall - di'velept (@divelept)
A Rose by Any Other Name...
Anthony Richardson - That Architecture Student (@thatarchstudent)
Lindsey Rhoden - SPARC Design (@sparcdesignpc)
Drew Paul Bell - Drew Paul Bell (@DrewPaulBell)
Greg Croft - Sage Leaf Group (@croft_gregory)
House or Home
Courtney Casburn Brett - Casburn Brett (@CasburnBrett)
Jeffrey Pelletier - Board & Vellum (@boardandvellum)
Designing a House into a Home
Aaron Bowman - Product & Process (@PP_Podcast)
Samantha R. Markham - The Aspiring Architect (@TheAspiringArch)
6 Ways to Make your Architecture Studio feel like Home
Kyu Young Kim - J&K Atelier (@sokokyu)
Making a House a Home
Nisha Kandiah - ArchiDragon (@ArchiDragon)
Dwelling on a Macro scale
Karen E. Williams - (@karenewilliams3)
Jared W. Smith - Architect OWL (@ArchitectOWL)
Rusty Long - Rusty Long, Architect (@rustylong)
House or Home
Keith Palma - Architect's Trace (@cogitatedesign)
I don't design homes
Adam Denais - Defragging Architecture (@DefragArch)
Jim Mehaffey - Yeoman Architect (@jamesmehaffey)
House or Home: One's a Place, the Other a Feeling.
Ken Saginario - Twelfth Street Studio ()
Tim Ung - Journey of an Architect (@timothy_ung)
Architalks - A House is not a home
Mark Stephens - Mark Stephens Architects (@architectmark)
#ArchiTalks #24 House or Home? #RefugeeCrisis @GrainneHassett mentioned



Comments

  1. It's so refreshing to read a personal story than more rhetoric of the obvious. 12 houses...really?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Yes, 12, i believe. I could maybe blame it on the West's higher "migration" rates, but I think it's funnier that I lived in five places in the one square mile of Dormont. My parents, collectively, liked to move and buy houses, i guess and I have lived in five different cities but I have lived in the 8428 house since October 1999 but it was only supposed to be the five year house :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts