#ArchiTalks 26: "Advice for Clients"

ArchiTalks #26
Theme: Advice for Clients








 Above is a photo of a roof that is in very close proximity to me, I don’t want to mention where because that might hurt the feelings of the person who resides there, all I can really say is that it isn’t mine and of course there is the old adage, “those who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones…”


I am an architect and most of my work is custom residential single family homes.  Most of the work in single family residential in Southern California are addition and remodels to existing residences because of the little to no availability to land.  Virgin buildable land is a premium commodity and is not readily available to include a $350k price.  As such, most people who come to me are looking to add on and remodel their existing homes.  Many times they have interviewed a design build company which will not have an architect on staff but will rather have a drafter or they will consult with a drafter and a structural engineer will sign off on the person’s drawings.  They usually charge a minimal amount for the “design” and plans because they can make it up in the cost of construction.  As such, these drafters are paid for their services and one never sees them again, changes are made in the field by the contractor.  


I am saying this because sometimes I am the third person who they interview and they are somewhat shocked by my rates because they were told that they could get a design  and plans for $1,000.  


And as an Architect, I do not charge those rates.


I am there to represent the client’s interests and as such, I spend a lot of time, measuring and documenting the existing house and property and I spend a lot of time with the client on the schematic design and design development of the project and I make weekly site visits, depending on the scope of work, so that I can make sure that the project is following the plans.  And if any unforseen conditions come up (which is always the case when one is working with 50 year old houses, then I can make recommendations and changes based on these conditions.  


I am the only person who is there to represent the client’s best interests.  


Sooo….


Please trust me.  I am the one who you can tell,  every wish and desire that you want in your house.


“this is our construction budget, this is it, we have two kids to put through college”


“I like the toilet on this side of the bathroom”


“I want the asphalt shingles to match the rest of the house because we don’t have the money to reroof right now”


“ i have never done this before, can you explain what ________ means?”


I am the one who can guide you through this process of a 500 square foot addition or a brand new 3,000 square foot home, You can see my other work, you can review my contract, you can speak with other clients of mine, you can speak with the contractors who build the project.  But you first have to trust me to help me help you.


The person who lives here did ask me to look at their project, I was away and they had interviewed a couple other people and when I did talk to them, they had already decided on someone, but they were surprised when I explained my process as to how I would do the project.  They said, “wow, you are really involved in everything….”


Yes, I am.



initial meeting and then a contract



viewing the site




schematic design drawings










Add caption














































and just a few more weeks and it will be ready to move in.



And as one of my friends once said after working with an architect for their home:


“He thought of things that we had never thought of”


And i said, “well, yes, we do because as this might be the first or second home you have ever had designed for you, we have designed hundreds, so we have the professional experience..…”




I am now offering sponsorship opportunities and I am grateful for that. Please contact me via my website below for more information.




If you would like to know what some other architects’ advice to clients is, please follow the links below:



Enoch Sears - Business of Architecture (@businessofarch)
Bob Borson - Life of An Architect (@bobborson)
Matthew Stanfield - FiELD9: architecture (@FiELD9arch)
Marica McKeel - Studio MM (@ArchitectMM)
ArchiTalks: Advice for Working with an Architect
Jeff Echols - Architect Of The Internet (@Jeff_Echols)
Advice for ALL Clients
Lee Calisti, AIA - Think Architect (@LeeCalisti)
advice to clients
Mark R. LePage - EntreArchitect (@EntreArchitect)
Lora Teagarden - L² Design, LLC (@L2DesignLLC)
ArchiTalks: Advice for Clients
Collier Ward - One More Story (@BuildingContent)
Trust Your Architect
Cormac Phalen - Cormac Phalen (@archy_type)
Nicholas Renard - Renard Architecture (@dig-arch)
Andrew Hawkins, AIA - Hawkins Architecture, Inc. (@hawkinsarch)
Jeremiah Russell, AIA - ROGUE Architecture (@rogue_architect)
Jes Stafford - MODwelling (@modarchitect)
Eric T. Faulkner - Rock Talk (@wishingrockhome)
Advice List -- From K thru Architect
Rosa Sheng - EquitybyDesign [EQxD] (@EquityxDesign)
Michele Grace Hottel - Michele Grace Hottel, Architect (@mghottel)
advice for clients
Meghana Joshi - IRA Consultants, LLC (@MeghanaIRA)
Michael Riscica - Young Architect (@YoungArchitxPDX)
Stephen Ramos - BUILDINGS ARE COOL (@sramos_BAC)
brady ernst - Soapbox Architect (@bradyernstAIA)
Brian Paletz - The Emerging Architect (@bpaletz)
A Few Reminders
Michael LaValley - Evolving Architect (@archivalley)
Jonathan Brown - Proto-Architecture (@mondo_tiki_man)
Eric Wittman - intern[life] (@rico_w)
[tattoos] and [architecture]
Sharon George - Architecture By George (@sharonraigeorge)
Brinn Miracle - Architangent (@architangent)
Emily Grandstaff-Rice - Emily Grandstaff-Rice FAIA (@egrfaia)
Changing the World
Jarod Hall - di'velept (@divelept)
Drew Paul Bell - Drew Paul Bell (@DrewPaulBell)
Advice for Clients
Greg Croft - Sage Leaf Group (@croft_gregory)
Courtney Casburn Brett - Casburn Brett (@CasburnBrett)
Jeffrey Pelletier - Board & Vellum (@boardandvellum)
Questions to Ask an Architect in an Interview: Advice for Clients
Samantha R. Markham - The Aspiring Architect (@TheAspiringArch)
Dear Client,
Kyu Young Kim - J&K Atelier (@sokokyu)
Advice for Clients
Nisha Kandiah - ArchiDragon (@ArchiDragon)
Advice for clients
Rusty Long - Rusty Long, Architect (@rustylong)
Advice for Clients
Keith Palma - Architect's Trace (@cogitatedesign)
Advice 4 Building
Jim Mehaffey - Yeoman Architect (@jamesmehaffey)
Tim Ung - Journey of an Architect (@timothy_ung)
Mark Stephens - Mark Stephens Architects (@architectmark)
Gabriela Baierle-Atwood - Gabriela Baierle-Atwood (@gabrielabaierle)
What I wish clients knew
Ilaria Marani - ()


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts