"Dwell on Design" Recap





https://t.co/rDJN5b7Gf3


Dwell Blog: Dwell Show, Los Angeles Consultations Recap,
June 24, 2017 -


20170623_103357.jpg
Photo by Ann Salazar

Four weeks ago, I had the opportunity to be at the Association for Women in Architecture and Design or AWAD “The Architect is In” at the Dwell Show in Los Angeles.  As a woman architect living and working in Southern California, I was all too happy to volunteer to meet with Dwell Show attendees to discuss their architectural needs and help point them in the right direction, or at least a few different routes that they can take without their google map....  
Photo by Michele Grace Hottel
I sat at the booth and along with Magdalena Glen Schieneman at the table next to mine and we met with people who wanted to speak with an architect.  I spoke with one “client”: about his idea of transforming his existing two car garage in a nearby coastal city into an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU). The state of California has a bill “SB 1069” which makes it easier for people who own property to put an ADU on their property without having to adhere to zoning and planning code within a jurisdiction that might prohibit such a dwelling form being constructed.  As a planning commissioner in the City of La Mesa, and an architect, I have encountered at least one at this date where certain issues have been null because of this new bill.  An example would be that one would still have to provide parking for the single family residence, but may be exempt from providing additional parking for the ADU.  Another example would be if there were zoning restrictions on a property that said that one couldn’t have a second dwelling unit on their property, they may be exempt from that limitation also. BUT PLEASE CHECK WITH YOUR CITY, COUNTY OR OTHER JURISDICTIONS AND CONSULT A PROFESSIONAL (AN ARCHITECT) PRIOR to building said structure because the percentage of lot coverage and other restrictions may still prevent on from building and a building permit will still be necessary and an ADU may not be allowed in your state or area at all.

Photo by Magdalena Glen Schieneman

Another session of “The Architect Is In” was with a mother and a daughter but not about a project, but about the design professions and college.  And another mother and daughter I spoke to was about the mom wondering if she could ever go back to school to study architecture even if she was a divorced single mom in her early forties with a young daughter.  I always encourage women to go into architecture if they are interested in it.  It is not easy for women going into “male dominated professions”, therefore the more role models and mentors that women can speak to, the easier it is for them to think, “hey, i could be an architect!” One of the reasons that I like to educate people on the whole “Equity in Design thing”, because I think it needs to be better publicized that these are careers that women can go into and that women and men can do things their way and still be in the design professions. .  I call my blog, “i’ve never met a woman architect before” not because I refer to myself as a “woman architect” (which I am) but that is what people say to me when I tell them that I am an architect.

mghottelarctakeawaypostcard 001 (2).jpg
Photo by Michele Grace Hottel


Best Advice Booth:
Association of Women in Architecture and Design AWAD:  and The Architect Is In”
(#LeanIn) ;)


Best Exhibit: Method Homes, Tiny Homes and Campers featuring products from several different companies including San Diego based La Cantina doors.  


Best Takeaway: The Shade Store: Sunbrella Ventana Collection “Adult Sippie Cup”
I was at “The Architect is In” booth, but the wonderful Alicia Arlow of AWAD was nice enough to pick one up for me (the line for filling them up was even longer) and this will be a nice compliment to my swan floatie in the pool...


Best Lecture: Claire Weisz speaking on Sustainable Architecture and all things Architecture…


Best Professional Photographer at the show:: Mimi Teller, because who else can tell you that Julius Schulman was friends with her family and taught her everything she knows about photography?


One of the things that I think is great about our profession is the closeness and camaraderie that we have and as such, I saw several arc friends at the show and met some others and I have asked them for their recap of the show also.


“As a Dwell subscriber I attended Dwell on Design LA with certain expectations.
I did not find many of the architectural vendors I was expecting, but was pleasantly surprised by the many designers represented in the show including the variety of jewelry design, specialty custom lighting such as Spider Design, and furniture varying from large companies to local designers.


In today's sustainability world, I did enjoy some of the creative ways designers reuse materials, such as Kiel Arto Design converting vehicle steel into furniture, using the original car color.


One of the main features that pleasantly surprised me the most is the Dwell Outdoor, with the variety of outdoor furniture, Autocamp with the different Airstreams, and the Kim Lewis tiny home and many others all laid out together in a cohesive environment.


Dwell on Design may be focusing on design but was tackling big issues such as homelessness and how urban environments deal with it. As someone who is passionate about the subject it was refreshing not only to see a panel discuss the subject, but students from the University of Southern California Architecture School physically build a small home during the 3 day show for a homeless individual.  It not only brings awareness to the issue, but also allow show attendees see the physical limitation of those living on the streets.


It was well worth travelling to the event to  be inspired.”


Jean Claude Chamaa
NAV/FAC San Diego


Keil_Arto.jpg
Photo by Jean-Claude Chamaa

20170623_105943.jpg
Favorite Display: Method Homes, Tiny Homes and Campers, Archi-Camp
Photo by Ann Salazar


20170623_110048.jpg
Favorite Display: Outdoor Room
Photo by Ann Salazar

20170623_111336.jpg
Favoritie Product One:
Photo by Ann Salazar


20170623_112052.jpg
Favorite Product Two:
Photo by Ann Salazar


Ann Salazar


Avant Garde Interiors
(661) 510-5604
Ann.AGIDS@gmail.com


Thank you  for reading my recap on The Dwell Show: Los Angeles and please read my blog “i’ve never met a woman architect before” where I also participate with #ArchiTalks and please listen to my podcast with EntreArchitect.  


Michele Grace Hottel, Architect

Blog: “I’ve never met a woman architect before….



I am now offering sponsorship opportunities and I am grateful for that. Please contact me via my website below for more information.


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post. Thanks for sharing this with us. Your blog posts are really very interesting and useful.
    ADU Housing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment