CRAN Symposium 2018 part 2 "Interview with Tim Martin of Martin Architecture"






CRAN (Custom Residential Architecture Network) Symposium 2018 part 2, Monday but I am going to put it in three because I went to the Cincinnati Art Center and I think it needs a separate wrap-up in it's own post...


Let's look at the Keynote and Continuing Education  Speakers and their thoughts on architecture and practice.












First up Monday morning, the keynote Dan  Rockhill, of Studio 804, a design build firm and a professor at the University of Kansas in Lawrence, Kansas and he was definitely one of the more entertaining speakers. I always appreciate a Keynote who is entertaining and his stories were and humorous and considering how amazing the work is, the stories of how the students participate in the design and construction are hilarious. Continuing ED is always difficult to focus on for a long time, I mean, if you are going to have to sit in a banquet room for 7 or 8 hours, one may as well be entertained while doing it. otherwise, you could just read (skim through and look at the pictures) of their book. The best part are the stories he tells of the student's mistakes and his own, but he doesn't "lecture" about it, they are just "life lessons" and I know that I learned something from him and won't repeat some of the students' mistakes, like using a sawsall on a steel beam ( i have actually seen people use those tools as if they are a lot stronger than they really are and the personal liability is way greater...









A Sea of Change
Mark LaLiberte
From Construction Change This guy was great and made construction fun, so much so that I almost want to start my own crew but I would have to swing a hammer and I don't have the upper body strength.






I do not know why I have no pics of Marica and Rena, because I thought that I took some...

Marica McKeel, AIA and Rena Klein, FAIA
Growing your firm: Secrets to success
(In collaboration with Practice Management Knowledge Community
I have to hand it to Marica for participating in this because I am not sure that I would have been able to do it., But I am grateful that she did as it is a difficult task talking about finances, but one that must be done.  Also, Marica on top of running her architecture firm in New York was also on the Committee for the Symposium.








Dwellings in the Over-The-Rhine: Renovation, restoration, and preservation
Moderator: Paul Muller, AIA
Panelists: Terry Bolling, AIA, LEED AP, Lann Field, Martha Schickel Dorff, AIA  and Sanyog Rathod, AIA
This session explores the opportunities and challenges in developing single family residences in an urban environment, the Over-The-Rhine in Cincinnati







Highly processed
Speaker: Sebastian Smalling, AIA
Sebastian presented his academic viewpoint on these residential (which a lot of the projects were high end and very philosphical but there were also the affordable projects whihc I was glad to see tha tthe same amount of design adn philosophy methodology were used in accomplishing these projects a;lso) and it was amazing what these assortment of colored pencils could add to the facades which are otherwise the same house.


Tuesday:
Drawn to Classicism
Speaker: Michael Imber, FAIA








Hawkins residence- boo-boos and band-aids
Speaker: Steve Bostwick
It is always hard for me to listen to construction litigation and I am glad that it was a project that I had seen two days prior and that I was happy to meet the client.  I am sure that it is probably worse to sit through an attorney's symposium, but that is a moot point.  (ha ha)  I am just hoping that I never have to sit there during one of my projects.




Kohler: They just don't make toilets...









Journey from architect to best-selling author
Speaker: Kevin Harris
I love this "Funk Chart", I am literally running into it in my own small house addition...



Successful technology integration:
Bryan Mills

Re (insert your word here)
Speaker: John Bendhauser, FAIA









How to find clients through social media
Jeff Echols, Assoc. AIA
Jeff spoke of the power of social media as “A tweet can change the world” and how to engage,
Build relationships and move them offline and sell things, close deals.
How do we do that? With an engagement strategy, that is

Meet me
Know me
Trust me
Hire me

What do your ideal clients want to know about? Pay attention to your audience.
Ideal clients: if you can’t meet them, call them or the next best thing, email them.

And as far as posting on social media, I posted this of Jeff above and then he posted this after.




When I tell people that I have a blog, People ask me, well what does it have to do with architecture and your business?. For me it is the things that Jeff Echols is talking about, I met both Jeff Echols and Marica Makeel “online” through #ArchiTalks which was started by Bob Borson of “Life of an Architect”.  It was through this venue that I was able to engage with the group and I had not been a  member if the AIA for 22 years. When there were going to be few meetups at the AIA conference in Orlando, with the #ArchiTalks bloggers, I decided to rejoin, well the addition of Michelle Obama definitely helped things along. My point is that had I not read the “Life of an Architect” blog, I would not have been “introduced” to the group or been a part of the EntreArchitect blog interview series, and even started these short interviews of architects (of which three #ArchiTalks architects have been interviewed: Borson, Le Page and Teagarden) and I would be happy with more, if they weren't so very busy!!!

Which leads me to this interview:




Interview with Tim Martin

Tim Martin of Martin Architecture in Carlsbad, California
Tim Martin founded Martin Architecture in 2004. With over 25 years of experience designing and managing custom home projects, he puts the highest standard of care in his designs, the execution of his projects and his relationships with his clients. Prior to moving to the San Diego area in 1985, Tim received his architecture degree from the University of Cincinnati and worked in firms in Ohio, Indiana and St. Louis, Missouri. He is licensed in California and Indiana.

Whether a new home, a renovation and addition, or historic restoration, Martin Architecture strives to produce homes which fit within the fabric of the community and are admired for their scale and well crafted detail.


Me in front of the Monogram Pizza Oven

Monogram Kitchen Appliances - Elevate Everything

Which leads me to some more wonderful Vendors.  The salesperson for Monogram was there and I really want to go to Chicago to cook in one of the classes, so I will see what I have to do to get there!  I did hear that they are $10k so I better get working if I want to have one in my kitchen.


Sierra Pacific Windows and Doors



sierra pacific windows

Sierra Pacific Windows and Doors are made from a company that owns the forests in which they are harvested from and that is pretty interesting because you can't really get more "family owned and manufactured" than that. 


Bag Sponsor Nichiha







nichiha

Nichiha I have used this product in several different projects and it's durability expecially next to the ocean is very good.

Enviroshake Enviroslate in Onyx


Contact for Enviroshake


Arcadia Custom

arcadia custom





firerock.fireplaces and steel doors and windows






Stunning New Stone Collections from DeSantana







velux usa







Monograph and Robert Yuen, Assoc AIA
He would also love to extend an offer, a special discount to everyone who attended CRAN 2018 by waving the base fee of $30 for the first 12 months. 


So, one of the things that I think is one of the most unusual things about the CRAN symposium is the "Dining Out with the Vendors' thing which I think is not only awkward for attendees it is also awkward for the vendors.  I mean it kindof becomes this "Speed Dating for Dinner" thing and for me, who is quite social but I never am one to try and get friendly with people so that they buy me dinner. One, because I will be quite truthful, 

I don't really like to eat that much and 
two, I don't drink that much 
which would probably make the entire process above a little easier. 


and if I am going to go out to eat dinner, it is a social thing more than a food thing and , I like to go to a restaurant or place that is a nice place to be in, because after all I am an architect and I enjoy looking at the space. It is just hard to find that great space that has good food where you can hold a conversation because let's face it a lot of these places are VERY LOUD AND CROWDED and you can't really hold a conversation with anyone.


AND I don't want to eat something that I can make and I don't want to cook my own food when I go out to eat.


So the first night, I did go with several other architects and the Velux people were great, and I am glad that I wsa with people who I have used their product in the past and will continue to use their product for years to come.  


Otherwise, I don't know it seems forced, but this is coming from me and I am not very savvy to putting myself out there.  In fact, one of the vendors (and this is not an isolated incident) was surprised that I was also an architect, and I said, well i am standing here with other architects and they said, "well, maybe it's because you don't have those little glasses" 

So, I bought those little glasses and I can see small print better but I am still not mistaken for an architect when I am out and about.  Even on a jobsite, where my name is on the plans that they  are "supposedly" looking at. Of course I wasn't wearing the glasses so maybe they have a point ;)

Please follow as I bring you the next AIA CRAN Part three, playing hooky (for about an hour) at the Cincinnati Contemporary Arts Center....



Comments

  1. Sincerely i was so crushed when my Husband of 8 years left me and moved to Texas to be with another woman. The pains was just too much for me to bear that I couldn't just bear it anymore. So i had to reached out to the Internet for help until i found out that DR ZUMA was the real deal. I almost gave up trying to get my Ex Husband back in having a happy, Lovely and a contented family again.. I had tried the whole lot I knew, and with your spells, blessings and extraordinary magical powers, you did all the work for me, which you have guaranteed me positive result in 4 DAYS, my Ex Husband came back to me and he was remorseful for the whole lot he has done. And now my life is balanced and i am happy again. DR ZUMA you did a great service to people, and I don't think many people had known about you. You are the diamond in the rough. Thank you DR ZUMA You are talented and you give off yourself so freely like you did to me. Thank you for weaving your magical love spells for me and MY HUSBAND. He is back to me just the way it was when we first met.. from the depths of my soul! I am immeasurably happy now.. now my man is back to me just in 3 DAYS, as you have said it..wow.. Thank you so much sir, Lots of appreciations.. Here is DR ZUMA Email: spiritualherbalisthealing@gmail.com. WhatsApp him +15068001647

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would just love to know what this has to do with anything.... I want to keep it up on here because it is just such a random thought comment...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts