CRAN Symposium 2019 Interview with Joanna McBride

It was the fourth day of the CRAN Symposium and one of my favorite days because it is the day for the

HOUSE TOUR!!!






Everybody likes a House Tour, right???

Even if there were no women architects on the house tour, right???

So anyways, I was really unlucky to get there at 5 pm on Wednesday because I then got a 6:45 AM!!!
Tour start as opposed to a 7 or 7:15
But what was explained to me was that there was only a half hour difference between the first and last tour starts so what was the big deal???

The big deal was that I could have slept in til 6:45 and grabbed a bagel, juice  and coffee and my bag lunch for the day instead of getting out of my room at 6:30.

Yes, there's a difference and believe me, I need my beauty sleep ;)

So, the lucky part of having the early bus was that there was a really amusing tour guide who doesn't want to be named in this blog but they were great at giving us facts about not only the architecture, but about the area around Phoenix and mostly Scottsdale, and the state of Arizona.

So, here goes the tour:

First fun fact:
There are five C's for the Commerce of Arizona
The first C is:
Cattle










a child lives here and as most children of architects do
as they wander around their house,
"why are these people here?"






House Number One: Cedar Street House
Architect: Co-Lab Studio, LLC
This house was one of many on the tour that was "self-designed" and when I say that, i mean that the house was designed by the architect for themselves which means that they can do a lot of things that they would otherwise not be able to do for a more typical client.  like have a lot of storage in a home that they are also using a good part of as an office.
This reminded me that I should have all of this storage but I wouldn't want to have a house that looked like this and don't get me wrong, the house that I am living in could definately use all of that storage. and then my kids wouldn't be complaining about all of these plans that are sitting in the living room right now as we add on.  I am all for storage and it could be that it was early and that it was overcast, which is kindof weird because I cannot remember a time when I have been to Arizona when it was cloudy in the morning but I guess it happens but it seemed more like an MCM  office complex than a house, though there were a lot of nice things about the project . One person explained it to me as being a good example of a house that head been fixed up in a neighborhood that wasn't so good.  I don't know if I would describe it as a neighborhood that wasn't so good as I lived in Venice bEach in the late 80's and 90's. And I know that I would never be able to have people coming over to go through my house/ but I did kindof agree with the owner/architect's recollection of what an artist friend had said about it "you have turned yourself inward and away fron the street". I kindof felt like the courtyard was an area that was more like the game. "hot lava" where you jump from bed to bed and don't want to touch the floor in case you get burned but it was grass that was probably not going to last instead of lava. And if you are going to invest in grass in the desert, you better be able to play on it.


The second C is

Cotton

This was totally surprising to me, cotton in Arizona???  But it is the second biggest producer of Cotton in the United States.













glass floor detail




includes requisite "architects' own home
never gets final because of stairs detail"







House Number Two: Johnson Jones House
Architect: Johnson Studio
Another self-made house This one was nice as well as most of them that used sites or lots that were not going to be coveted by most other clients as there was something that was "wrong" with it but it was less than other lots in the same neighborhoods and therefore the architect by using their skill, literally added value to the property by working with the  lot to make the project work.

I would also say that this house had a lot of organic features and this architect seems like he is one of the happiest architects that I have ever met and he enjoyed talking about the process and the house so much that we almost ran out of time to actually tour it, but our tour guides and this has to be one of the hardest parts of being a tour guide on these things is telling the architect that he is going to have to stop talking in order for us to see the house and to stay on schedule.

And the house includes an "architect's own house that never gets final stair detail" you can see that in the photos AND for the record, for those who read this and thinkthat i am a die hard feminist who never gives men a break...

I do not care if there are glass floors, i like glass floors for a couple reasons, non being that i think that they are sexist or that they are demeaning to those of us who wear skirts or dresses (notice, i did not say "women" because there are other gender-fluid people who like to wear garments that are breezy, and belive me it was hot enough that i was not going to put down any person who was wearing any clothes at all and was managing to get through the day without sweating excessively.
BECAUSE

glass floors let in light, and that's the main reason why i like them.

The third C:
Copper











the architect Wendell Burnette
explaining the structure

Kevin Harris of AGS Stainless, Inc.














House Number Three: Burnette Residence
Architect: Wendell Burnette, FAIA
wendell burnette architects
I had seen this house in a few photos and I was actually surprised by how diminutive it is, and so full of little surprises and that Wendell was there to exp;ain the house which was a great benefit that you don't get from too many tours. And also, how it used a site, again, that was not wanted by many and that he was able to build it while he was a young architectural graduate working with Will Bruder made me want to develop (yet again) , my own projects:
big sigh...
I probably like it so much because I live pretty small and I think other people probably could too, if forced to.  I especially liked how he explained to everyone in his bedroom how you could see this view out of the window if you are in bed and that is the exact experience that we as architects need to show our clients.  This is the benefit of using an architect to design a house for you that will be of the site and with the site




The Speakeasy Room




The Catalina Pool (what is left of it)





The Biltmore and Lunch and Learning Units and this great Goal Setting and presentations by some of the sponsors, Nichiha with Tim giving a great talk about these symposiums and what architects mean to the business, Sub-Zero, Cove and Viking and a tutorial on the history of the Sub-Zero refrigerator and freezer :

And the pep talk about how we should be planning for the future of our offices as being Goal oriented, which we as sole proprietorships said, "I need to be with more than one person to ask
"what are you good at?"
"what doyou need help with ?"
Etc...


The fourth C:
Climate

this is the desert...













These guys... always the comedy show here...

House Number Four:  The Price House
Architect: Frank Lloyd Wright
This is directly from the CRAN description:
The 1954-55 Harold Price, Sr residence is the largest of all Frank Lloyd Wright's homes
in Arizona. Evident throughout the hillside home are the forms of the Sonoran desert –
the expanding columns of the ocotillo, the low silhouette of the surrounding hills, the
dotted edges softening the harsh desert light into shadow, emulating what Wright saw
as the language of the desert.

The Price House Foundation is a registered 501(c)(3) charitable organization.

www.PriceHouseFoundation.org

This FLW is one of my favorites because by this time, he was either too old to fight about it or he actually understood the desert by this time.  Or understood the client's needs, either way it is now one of my favorites of his because ofa few things. This house had not A/C on while we were there but with the courtyards and the thermal mass walls and spaces set to bring the breeze through the house through operable windows and openings throughout the design it works.  And it was 100 degrees plus (I think that the temperature is rigged to not go over 100 degrees so people think the heat is manageable, but really for most houses in this climate, it isn't.  People go into their neo-traditional house with high pitched roofs, sealed finishes and HVAC and don't want to believe that they live in the desert, because they don't, they live in a hermetically sealed, energy inefficient box that keeps them satiated with refrigerated air and water.





"round and round, what comes around, goes around..."


House Number Five: The Driggs Residence
Architect: Al Beadle
This house needs no explanation besides what the owners have say about it.  The architect, Al Beadle will live on in this house through the words of the clients, the Driggs in this video below:

We are experiencing some technical difficulties on this but I will continue to try and upload this!!!








The fifth C:
Citrus


House Number Six: Lein Residence
Architect: Edward B. Sawyer
I believe this was the second remodel/addition on the tour which is a help for me as most ofmy work here in Southern California is this type of project.  This was designed by an architect and then the project was purchased by a designer and the architect who had worked on the original project helped the designer with the project the second time around.  I am not crazy about the native brick that is prevalent in this area but it works in this house, I have to say that I really liked the kitchen, and master bath upgrades, very easy for me to move in there with those beautiful features.



So, I spoke with this local architect while I was at the Symposium and I invited her to speak with me via zoom, so here we are, Joanna McBride



tammen+rose architecture 10.13.19 Joanna McBride Joanna is the creator of tammen + rose architecture, a custom residential design firm in the Phoenix metropolitan area. Before founding t + r , Joanna worked in Chicago for two well established modern architecture firms. Her architecture is an amalgam of art and technology, with her rare combination of artistic and technical skills blending together effortlessly in her work. Named one of the 15 Best Architects in the Phoenix area, Joanna has been invited to be a guest juror at various design schools and universities in Chicago and Arizona. She holds a BFA from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and a MArch from the University of Illinois in Chicago. Actively involved in her profession and the design community, Joanna has taught design at Arizona State University, serves as co-chair of CRAN (Custom Residential Architects Network) in the Phoenix area, and has served on the Board of the Local Chapter of the AIA.

Interview with Joanna McBride, click here

Joanna's Three Favorite Buildings:








There were so many activities built into this five day stretch and here are some other highlights from the trip.


Networking Dinner for Saturday Night: with:



PAC-CLAD Metal Roofing and Metal Siding on Residences



Rob Heselbarth | Director of Communications
PAC-CLAD | Petersen Aluminum
1005 Tonne Road | Elk Grove Village, IL | 60007
847-981-4707 rheselbarth@petersenmail.com | pac-clad.com


So, I also went to meet with these women painters who I had found on Instagram but when I went and visited their studio it also turns out that they are also architects!

So here are some images from Nancy Harper and Jessica Anne Thomas and their amazing images, all painted and ready for sale, if anyone is interested in perusing their social media and websites!!!
Instagram:
Jessica Anne Thomas

Facebook:
Jessica Anne Thomas
Nancy Harper

So , I will leave you with these images:
















See you in Miami!!!

Comments

  1. Very nice post here thanks for it I always like and search such topics and everything connected to them. Keep update more information..
    Architectural designer in Clapham

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts