#WFH Sports Architecture w/ Craig Schmitt, RA

 


Craig J. Schmitt, RA 
Principal, Ewing Cole
Sports Entertainment

PNC Park, Pittsburgh 
photo: visitpittsburgh.com


                                        

PNC Park, Pittsburgh
photo: CANNON Design

                                       

get ready folks...

SPORTS

Now I was going to say that Sports is the only thing that I can write about that has not changed at all for me during #WFH Covid-19 days, weeks, months....

BUT....  I realized that in fact, I do enjoy some sports and sports related activities, they are just mostly solo and not team sports and they have in fact been affected, 

things that I like to do like:

Swimming: I have never wanted my own pool like I do now, just a small pool, 

architecture + photo: Cullum Homes

but instead, I have this:


a feed trough that i bought a few months ago (if you follow me on Instagram) and it would work way better if we did not have a mosquito problem the last two years...

Walking and Hiking: Again, I thought I would be able to walk and hike at the Lake, but because it is a county run park, it was shut down.  


Camping: There is a limit on how many people can go into a National or State Park, so though some people have managed to get in, I have not seen any within easy driving distance that has any room.

And though it has let up a lot on Walking and Hiking, it is still trying to avoid people, wearing a mask when you see people,  

the once a year baseball game that we get tickets to and attend as a family, even if it is just that i go and get a beer in the lounge of the Western Metal Building at Petco Park and watch the game in a way better spot than what we got tickets to see because i like to walk around and not really watch the game and I can tell you that is something that has not changed for all of my life.  I didn't watch sports when I was younger, I was never on a sports team, I never went to see sports played, well, once i went to a baseball game because I think it might have been for a Girl Scout badge but I also went camping and to a rock concert for a badge too. 


Petco Park: 
architecture + photo: Antoine Predock, HOK Sport 
=

Western Metal Supply Co.
architecture + photo: Heritage Architecture 






Civic Arena: photo: brookline.com

Civic Arena; photo: Remembering the Igloo

Three Rivers Stadium meet Heinz Field
photo: Mark Dottle








Remembering the Civic Arena 

This has a list of concerts that were in the Arena during it's time, I saw several, can you figure out which ones???


And though I have been to several sports stadiums, I have not seen sports in most of them, I have seen concerts.  Which leads me to the interview...

As I am not an expert on sports and definitely not a sportsperson or maybe I am not even a team player, lol, I am asking someone who is,  Who can tell us about the impact of the #WFH Covid-19 on America's Favorite Pastime, Team Sports and Stadium Culture? 

Craig Schmitt.

I have known Craig for years, actually decades and though times have changed a lot, it is great that we can still talk about our past life when we were hanging out as you ng architects in Los Angeles and the Westside in our twenties,  And though we both grew up in Pittsburgh, in 1990,  we met through another friend, Neil Peoples, who I had gone to school with at Cal Poly Pomona, who incidentally had also gone to a Summer High School Architecture program at Carnegie Mellon University .  Craig and I did not.







Craig J. Schmitt, RA of Ewing Cole
photos: Ewing Cole 
                                       

Ewing Cole

As co-Director of the Sports practice, Craig focuses on development/delivery of the firm’s professional

sports, entertainment and hospitality projects. His passion for designing sports and entertainment

venues grew out of his love for sports as a youth.

“There has been nothing more rewarding than seeing the happy faces of fans watching their home team

in action in a stadium I helped create.”

Craig has become recognized in the stadium design industry for his knowledge and skills managing and

directing the diverse group of engineers and specialty consultants associated with such facilities. He

proficiently understands the planning stages and drivers of design behind athletic and mixed-use

facilities, bringing a thorough knowledge of the functional requirements, building program elements and

revenue-enhancing elements associated with public assembly buildings. He is a hands-on Principal and

Project Manager and remains involved through all aspects of project development, from programming

and concept design to design development and construction administration. Among the many projects

he has led over the years, two of the firm’s largest projects standout - Citizens Bank Park (Philadelphia

Phillies) and MetLife Stadium (NY Football Giants and NY Jets).

Craig began his career in 1987 after earning his Bachelor of Architecture degree from Penn State

University. He joined the firm in 2001 and became a Principal in 2005. He is active in various sports-

design related organizations where he often shares his expertise as a speaker or panelist. He has lived

and worked on both coasts, and holds licenses in 5 states.


Interview with Craig J. Schmitt, RA, listen here

Interview with Craig J. Schmitt, RA, listen here

If you are having a problem downloading and listening because the file is too big to be scanned for viruses,:\

1) "download"

2) "play anyway"

3) "view" (not download again)


Craig's Three Classic Buildings:


Fallingwater in Autumn

                                     

Gehry's Disney Concert Hall
photo: Dezeen
                                        


Gehry's Concert Hall
photo: Julius Schulman

Sagrada Familia by Gaudi



Philip Johnson's Glass House


So, back in the 90's we all got together for a camping trip to Joshua Tree complete with the U2 CD and played it all weekend long and in spite of everything, we all still hung out together after that weekend and then we all dispersed to other parts of California and the rest of the nation.  But we have some pretty good stories from that time period and probably photos somewhere (you know, because there wasn't social media and to tell you the truth, i know of nothing that we did that was embarassing to catch on film. And in fact, we all had super 8 movie cameras and a lot of creativity that we have managed to still use to keep us going even in the "adult phase" of our lives.  And, I think more now than ever, reconnecting to those archifriends from years past, and present, is important.  I went back to Joshua Tree a few years ago with the family and with my daughter a year ago....

work or personal, same face

i am going back...


So until we can "take me out to the ball game" and get back to hanging out with larger groups of people,  go grab a beer (or wine) or another beverage and watch some sports, or go outside and just throw a ball around, or pack lots of water and get out and go camping and enjoy nature by yourself with friends or family and we will get through this, together ..... 




Comments

Popular Posts