aiacon18 3.2 post conference: Interview with Bob Borson

My own take on AIAcon18
in New York City!!!
Day 3.2 Post Conference


Photo by Edgar on Unsplash



(the original photo link doesn't work anymore 
but I uploaded the above new image)


It had been 4o years since I had been to New York City and though the skyline has changed with the new, there remains the old.  I went to see the Statue of:Liberty back then, didn't get to see it this time, and the words by Emma Lazarus on the plaque at the bottom are perhaps more relevant to me today than they were many years ago... So, I did take a photo back then but I can't seem to find it but luckily, there is Google Image and this 1978 vintage shot of Ms. Liberty that is way nicer than my blurry kodak instamatic 110 one of her.




Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”



I think like we all have said, we go to these conferences to connect with other architects and we do see each other but didn't have the time to do the interviews, I am proud to say, because they have a full agenda being interviewed by others or hosting great parties or interviewing others on the Expo floor!  I will be interviewing Cherise Lakeside and Rosa Sheng at the upcoming conferences and posting.

So, thanks to technology, Bob and I were able to talk on a Saturday from our remote locations, our respective houses, record it and then thanks to the digital age that he is in, edited it back together again, deleting the french door slamming that comes on my end (Big Boys), so thanks to Bob and his commitment to the cause







Dallas architect Bob Borson, FAIA, is widely recognized as the blogger behind Life of an Architect—one of the world’s most popular architectural blogs. As an emerging voice within the architectural community, he has bridged the gap and engaged multiple generations of architects and architectural enthusiasts by sharing his personal experiences, professional practice tips, and anecdotes on what it’s like to work with and be an architect. 

Bob was the Dallas AIA “Young Architect of the Year” in 2009, received the Award for Excellence in the Promotion of Architecture through the Media from the Texas Society of Architects in 2015, and was elevated to a Fellow with the AIA in 2017.  He is a partner at Malone Maxwell Borson Architects – a Dallas-based architectural firm with 8 employees, whose work focuses on single family residential and interior architecture projects located around the country.


Podcast w/ Bob Borson, FAIA, click here to listen




So, I took a lot of photos of the Giacometti exhibit at the Guggenheim

I have seen different renditions of "Walking Man" but the other place that I had seen him in was the Louisana Museum, north of Copenhagen in Denmark and he was all by himself in one room and the reason I remember it so well is that we took the dean of our school to see the museum and he said, "The plan of this museum is so simple, if i had seen it as a school project, I would have criticized it".

Walking Man" by Giacometti at Louisiana Museum, Denmark

photo credit for Walking Man


Here at the Guggenheim, he has some friends






I think the reason why this exhibit was so relevant during the AIA conference was the artist Giacometti's use of drawings, paintings, sculptures and models to interpret his ideas being so similar to the way in which we as architects express ours.





detail of Giacometti drawing from above


Sketches of ideas 


Maquette of project


Preliminary sculptures of heads
So, I was looking at these canvases and I said (out loud), "are those little pieces of canvases and this intelligent looking man said, "during the war, he would cut up larger canvases and do these smaller paintings so that he could conserve his materials" and I said, "oh, do you know Giacometti's work well?" and he said, "No, I read it on the wall over there".

I guess I should stop taking photos of the architecture and read every once in a while....


These pieces are very small but if you can zoom in
it is a paintings of his mother, i believe,,,




and this one is of another woman who isn't his mother



I just love this




And thank you to some very patient Vendors:



Shildan Group's Terra Cotta Rainscreens:

www.shildan.com/






















NBK Terra Cotta/










Like I said previously, I am going to post more Interviews, Architecture and Vendors than there were conference days, so that is why there are going to 3.2., please look at Day 1, Day 2, Day 3 and Day 3.1 also.

Thank you for reading "I've never met a woman architect before..."

And see you in Vegas!!!!



I am now offering sponsorship opportunities and I am grateful for that. Please contact me via my website below for more information.



Comments

Popular Posts