#KBIS #IBS 2019 Interview with Andrew Hawkins of Hawkins Architecture

I'm not quite sure what is going on here, I need to give da Google a call!!!!



Welcome to Vegas!

It doesn't look like it's 45 degrees!




 apple was very suspicious of my being here,
yes we are always working at these things!!!
REGISTER FOR THE AIA CA HOUSING FORUM

Pre-show Lighting in the Arts District
It was in the 30's but they didn't seem to be bothered by the cold...
Fremont Street

I had a chance to pop over to Las Vegas for the KBIS  The Kitchen and Bath Industry Show                and IBS  The NAHB International Builders Show  (with all of these acronyms now, you might end up going to a conference about something you don't even want to hear about let alone walk for miles with, so check ahead of time) It was my first time and WOW! I was surprised at how big the show was and how big the convention center was, even though my stepfather who is a retired Design Engineer for printing presses and the print industry had gone several times with my mother because their building can hold full-scale mock-ups of printing equipment.  This show was no exception, from thousands of square feet of kitchen and home appliances to full scale mock-ups of pre-fab housing in the parking lot, it was a pretty impressive, though quite large to navigate in one day, but I was impressed.

I spent a lot of time at the Kohler exhibit because I was walking around with my friend who knows a lot about Kohler and therefore received a lot of info about the new products and the subsidiary companies of Kohler ie: Ann Sacks Tile and Stone, Robern Mirrors, etc.

Architect Andrew Hawkins was also there, running around with Bob Borson for their podcast "Life of an Architect" though I never saw them because the show is so large and for anyone who knows me, I am not usually good running to meet people in a small timeframe, unless they bring me coffee and then I might make an exception but there was so much good coffee at the show, it hardly seemed worth it ;) so the interview with Andrew was post-show and tune in to hear us talk about architecture, design, what product was my favorite and what we think about 7:00 am presentations at the AIA Conferences.

Here are some clues:

Kohler



https://noonhome.com/store





Andrew Hawkins


Andrew Hawkins, AIA is the president + principal architect of Hawkins Architecture in College Station, Texas. The firm focuses on education and civic projects across the state. Andrew operates
his practice in an atmosphere of collaboration and learning believing that both are equally important
to a successful firm. He has written articles for AIA National, Texas Architect Magazine, and various
architectural websites and is active in the AIA at all levels. Andrew believes in sustainable design, technology in practice and the power of thoughtful architecture.  Andrew is also a co-host of "Life of an Architect Podcast" with Bob Borson,
Link to  "Life of an Architect" Podcast




Interview with Andrew Hawkins, click here


Andrew's Three Classic Buildings:

http://www.midcenturyhome.com/the-richard-neutra-kaufmann-house/
Case Study House 22 by Pierre Koenig,
image by Julius Shulman, from book by Taschen
from http://4.bp.blogspot.com/


And back to more products from the KBIS and IBS:











Terrazzo by Ann Sacks Tile and Stone

Silicon potholders at Kohler Accessories:
I think i need these...

Ombre Kitchen Faucet with Deep Plum sink

if you're at Kohler, you have to look at toilets

Showers

Shower heads and sprays



Reverse sequins with "mirror mirror"
a mirror you can talk to and tell it to do things
(well maybe it can't do everything...)

Daltile


Azek in new colors and exterior finishes


Aprilaire conditions your air



Fisher and Paykel


and coffee, coffee, coffee

Thanks for the cappucino! Boral Building Products



These were from Miele and are just for show,
the Barrista let me take a pic, but said, "don't drink those,
they are cold and have been sitting,
we do the demo every hour" 


Here's the Miele coffee machine that makes them though :)

I don't know if the Building Products have figured it out yet, but if you offer coffee "beverages", free items and/or a charging station, you will have architects at your boot begging for your products, just a hint.

Pre-fab housing in the parking lot

Western Window Systems

Stuga


Stuga Kitchen with 3x12 tile backsplash
Stuga is pretty cute, as far as the pre-fab units that I have seen, I see it as something that I would design and put in my backyard or on a lot somewhere, totally studio size and efficiency friendly.

Boxabl unit with Western Window Systems Windows & Doors

hello@boxabl.com
With Boxabl one can order the units and windows and doors placement and have it fabricated and then it can be stacked four stories high, so it is based on a shipping container module without having to cut through steel to install doors and windows, etc.

Even Boxabl has Noon Home

Western Window Systems Sales Rep Dale

The Infamous Car Lifts!!!

No, the car does not come with the lift!!!



Always a joy to see these two, in San Diego or Vegas


Priority Door and Windows:
Owner Mike Schott and Sales Rep Christian Vazquez

See you at the job site with Windows and Doors!


On the way out, the back of Stuga

On the way out, the back of Boxabl
looks like snow...
So, I was only there for 24 hours and it was cold but it  looked like this when I got in and when I left on a delayed flight out, we were flying through snow, which of course led to delays the next day, which I didn't have to be a part of and I was at Daltile the next morning picking out tile with the Owner's Rep!




Bye Vegas!!!   See you in June at A'19!!!  It better be warmer!!!

Comments

Popular Posts