#a19 #aiacon19 AIA Conference 2019: "day two: PODCASTS and Interview with Michael Riscica"."


And I've got FLAIR!!!

Evan Troxel of Archispeak podcast
yes, we have fun on social media...




"The Dreamcrushers" CRAN Forum: Residential Practice,
Up Close & Personal

"The Dreamcrushers" Notes on the CRAN Forum: Residential Practice, Up Close & Personal which was "our annual moderated, interactive and collaborative forum". I heard "insights and anecdotes on the challenges and triumphs facing today's residential architects from those leading support, advocacy, and education for residential design.  "The Dreamcrushers" came from one of the speakers saying that he feels like that because people call the office looking to build their dream home and come away with the hard dose of reality that those dreams will cost a lot of money and will take a lot of time and an architect costs money and is going to put a lot of time in to it.  Which is the reality that the residential client needs to hear.  Let's face it, everyone out there who has done residential has had to give the news to people that their budget is unrealistic for what they want and if one is a good residential architect, one can work with the client and come up with a design with a realistic budget.  That is how we get things built.  That is how we get new clients.  That is how we work.

And we got a lot of giveaways!  Including a light bulb that glows different colors for the first few minutes, I am not sure how I am going to use this, but when I do, I will blog about it!





The reason I am always running around....a portion of my...

Agenda
Thu Jun 6, 2019
3pmBD+C / Life of an Architect Whiskey S…
3:30pmRE: Another reason to see ARCHICAD at…
4pmNearmap Introductory meeting--booth 8527
5pmColor Mixology
7pm4th Annual Small Architecture Firm Me…


This blog post and interview are focused on PODCASTS and I will just post the pics and videos and several of the podcast links to their episodes on the AIA Conference in Vegas, which there was a lot of podcasting going on including one where I posted a photo on Instagram and was asked (along with several others to appear at a booth on the Expo Floor and appear in a podcast and so I have to admit I was hesitant, you never know, but I did go to the Panda Door and Window display and there was a podcast setup there and I met with Brad and Brad of Edify Studios Podcast and they interviewed me, which is kindof nice as this is the third one that I have been on and I am doing interviews that are like short, unedited podcasts, depending on who one talks to.  Ben Kasdan says they are, a certain friend of mine who has a podcast says no, so I suppose that I should make the leap this year and declare it with my new website (soon to come) what it shall be....

I think my biggest point here is that PODCASTS are a lot of work and typically take time that is outside of our time in "typical" architecture practice but we enjoy it (most of the time) and as in most of our blogging and podcasting efforts, I think it is an excellent communication tool to spread information about what we do in architecture!!!  And I have made friends with a lot of these people who outside of blogging, I would probably have not met in my normal professional career, so LISTEN, LOOK and ENJOY!!!

Bob Borson and Andrew Hawkins
recording a "Life of an Architect" podcast
in aSteelcase conf room on the Expo floor
Recording Episode 27 of "Life of an Architect" podcast: "Is that even legal?" listen here

Ben Kasden, AIA California President with
Evan Troxel, Brett,
Cormac Phalen and Nicholas Renard



We were at the "Life of an Architect" Whiskey Social Hour while Bob and Andrew were in here...



EntreArchitect "Live from AIA 2019 Part 1" Listen here

EntreArchitect "Live from AIA 2019 Part 2" Listen here

Archispeak "ARCAST" episode 165 with AIACON19. Part 1


Here's a video clip of our upcoming podcasts with Edify Studios at the Panda Door and Window Booth and Michael Riscica's is up and here's the one that I did with him!!!





Michael Riscica
Architect at Young Architect
Syosset, NY, United States

Michael Riscica, AIA is a Licensed Architect, keynote speaker, recognized teacher, international
recognized blogger, and creator of youngarchitect.com a platform which helps Architects succeed in
school, work and exams.
Like many Architects, Michael loved architecture school, but felt blindsided by the real-world
challenges that happened after: namely achieving financial stability in an unsteady and unpredictable job market and navigating the challenging process of becoming a Licensed Architect.
Fueled by his own experiences of success and struggle, Michael now helps Emerging Professionals
pass exams and be financially resilient Entrepreneur Architects through blogging at YoungArchitect.com, speaking tours, teaching workshops and leading in-person study groups

youngarchitect.com

Interview with Michael Riscica, AIA, click here to listen

Michael"s Three Classic Buildings:









Altes Museum, East Berlin (as it was when Michele saw it in 1987
before the wall came down)

Altes Museum in Berlin as Michael saw it later
after the wall came down

The Museum of Metropolitan Art in New York,
the American Wing, I am thinking that this is morning


The Museum of Metropolitan Art in New York,
the American Wing, and this is late in the day




NEARMAP

My neighborhood (I do not own a pool
but we have a lot of trees!




Bentley Open Site Designer
This was an interesting software and BIM models that can be great for the things that Architects do not like to do!!!  Cut/Fill calculations, parking, etc.

"Canstruction", an AIA event that takes place at
different local chapters
 that is the most creative food bank that I've ever seen

Architectural Record!

I had hoped that my kids and I would be able
to climb this during the Expo but I did not
get a chance
and I am not sure if they did or not...


I use this product on my projects; it's a San Diego based glass railing and shower door company!

C.R. Laurence to Showcase New Architectural Glazing Systems at the 2019 AIA Conference on Architecture Expo

The Company Will Unveil Several Innovative Products, Including a Unitized Glass Railing System and Blumcraft® Ultra-Narrow Panic Device for Glass Doors




C.R. Laurence







I missed getting a bucket, but I wanted one!!!
STOPANEL






Precast Concrete



Domino Precast system by Gate Precast
Through research with the U.S. Department of Energy and Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Gate Precast Systems manufactured more than 1,000 precast concrete window openings using 3D molds for the Domino Sugar mixed use project in New York City. Gate Precast representatives answered questions about the technology and the project at the Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute booth at the AIA Conference in Las Vegas.







My youngest was way into the VR goggles
but he didn't take any photos!!!


IrisVR







Jennifer Bonner's residential
project with a Kingspan
Insulation system 



Kingspan Insulation

Kingspan Insulation Highlights “The Real Value of Space,” Showcases Kooltherm and
Optim-R Products at the 2019 AIA Conference


Some other Podcasts that I have been on:



Design your Dream Home with Steven Chung and Doug Patt





Comments

Popular Posts