Getting Your Work Published: Anne Fougeron, FAIA of Fougeron Architecture


Anne Fougeron, FAIA








Fall House by Fougeron Architecture
photo: Fougeron Architecture website


About four years ago I was on a committee with the AIA California Housing Forum and somehow I was asked if I wanted to be the Chair of the committee (I think it had something to do with one of the mostly male committee going on vacation).  I said yes and then swiftly set about making the Forum about Housing but also about panels that were following the JEDI rules and I kept saying that I wanted more women speakers and I wanted Anne Fougeron to be the keynote. And I got my wish. 

I have always had a sort of girl crush on Anne Fougeron as she is well known for her residential work and she is a woman that has become successful with a firm like I would like to have someday. 

A girl can always dream, right?

A few years back when we were given the#ArchiTalks prompt, "mentorship" I wasn't sure what it meant. I mean I am not sure that I ever had a mentor per se, I know that I learn from everyone, including my parents, friends and other architects but I am not so sure that I ever had a mentor.  When I told one of the architects who was part of the group, (ok, it was Bob Borson) that I didn't think that I could write it and the only mentor I wanted was Anne Fougeron and he said, 

"well, why don't you ask her?"

Anyways, she presented a great keynote, she has great work and I asked her at the end of the day what I could do to get more involved in multi-family work to transition my practice and she gave me some information.

And then I asked her if she could present for the AIA CRAN AIAU "Getting Your Work Published: Digital Edition" and she said yes.


And I have always wanted to ask her to do a podcast with me and I finally got up the courage to ask her, and she said yes.

So thank you Anne for saying yes, and thank you for being a stealth mentor to me and also thank you for being the only guest who asked me how I was doing with my practice.

 

Anne Fougeron 

Anne Fougeron, FAIA, principal and founder of Fougeron Architecture in San Francisco, is an

award-winning architect recognized for her diverse portfolio of projects, serving institutional,

commercial, health-care and residential clients. Whether transforming existing buildings or

creating entirely new environments, her thoughtful designs integrate rule-challenging technology

and techniques to address the aspirations, opportunities and challenges that come with each

commission. With nearly 30 years of practice, Anne’s work has garnered international

recognition.

fougeron.com




Anne's Three Classic Buildings:




San Carlo alle Quatro Fontane
by Francesco Borromini







Maison de verre by Pierre Chareau

Maison de verre by Pierre Chareau. 



The Kimball Art Museum, Dallas 
photo: Kimball.org

More photos of the Fall House that Anne references in the interview: All photos from the Fougeron Architecture website:






Comments

Popular Posts