AIAcon18 day 1: Interview with Vishaan Chakrabarti

My own take on AIAcon18
in New York City!!!
Day 1





I almost didn't attend this year's AIA Conference '18, but I was so glad that after some heavy wth with myself and friends, I did.  It had literally been 40 years since I had been to New York City, having grown up in Pittsburgh and gone with my Girl Scout troop (only four of us went with two leaders) to see Grease on Broadway in the play and then later that evening, went to see Grease the movie which had just come out.



Custom Residential Architects Network (CRAN):
I am the Chair of the AIA San Diego Chapter so...


This time I was going as an adult, and an architect who was free to explore the city at will...
except for the fact that I still had to work preparing the info for my blog: interviewing architects at their offices/any space that was available, amassing Continuing Education: CEU's, attending CRAN (Custom Residential Architecture Network) seminars because I took on the volunteer work of the Chair in San Diego and going to the Keynotes and Ceremonies that were in great iconic spaces and the fun stuff: parties on boats at piers and receptions for Fellows.





Interview with:
Vishaan Chakrabarti of PAU: Practice for Architecture and Urbanism
and professor at Columbia University
"Architecture is more relevant today than it has ever been...
It is both a mirror and a window into the challenges that society faces at any given time...
We are at a moment of great relevance, the thing that we have to be careful of is that we are not just talking to other architects but to political leadership and people who have control over how people use the spaces..."

Podcast w/ Vishaan Chakrabarti, FAIA, Click here to listen



Thank you to the woman (If you can tell me her name, i will mention it)
who worked for the startup that was using a conference area at
PAU's office, I am so grateful for her making me a cappucino from Vishaan's best coffee machine,








Vishaan's Three Classic Buildings:









Sydney Opera House Website

As usual, I was trying to cram too much work into too little time and tha lot but with the time change (I can't wait for ones that are PST), but I realized after Thursday and interviewing Vishaan Chakrabarti and then looking at my phone and saying,

"Do I really want to try and catch a cab and sit in traffic for an hour back to Javits or do I just want to walk from Union Square to Pier 66 and enjoy the city?














Walked from Union Square to Pier 66 for the Charette Ventures and EntreArchitect Party!!!


Construction goes up at Hudson Yard




As close as I got to One World Trade Center


the only photo of me with Maarilyn Moedinger
in New York City taken by the
best Construction Specifier in the World (that I know)
Cherise Lakeside @CheriseLakeside @FixConstruction


Holt Rast IV and Nolan Strom from Whole Construction Solutions 
Whole Construction Solutions
to see Whole Construction Solutions, click here

An explanation of what that label on your window means!!!
Tom Herron from NFRC Audio for Label Explanation

Tom Herron from NFRC


Here is a photo of a video clip from Jordan Oberhaus from La Cantina Doors on the Expo floor, They are built in San Diego, parent company Jeld-Wen. and if you are ever in the area, give them a call and get a tour of the factory.  I spoke to him regarding their Bi-Fold Door. They have new products coming out all the time and you can go to their website at www.lacantinadoors.com/
And they also are at Priority Door and Window, speak to Mike Schott in Southern California at www.prioritydoorwindow.com/LaCantina/LargeShowroom‎(






Preview of tomorrow!!!








Interviews to come:


Lora Teagarden of RATIO Architects and AIA Young Archtects, etc etc, #architalks facilitator
Wendy Rogers of LPA
Mark LePage of EntreArchitect and Fivekat Architects
Bob Borson of "Life of an Architect" and Malone Maxwell Borson Architects
Cherise Lakeside of @CheriseLakeside and @fixconstruction
Rosa Sheng of SmithGroup and EquityxDesign


And more views from inside the sessions and Keynotes!!!

Check back soon and you can see all of our Instagram memories of AIAcon18 by searching #aiacon18 and our #architalks group, Bob Borson "Life of an Architect" and EntreArchitect and
Jeff Echols, Archispeak group Evan Troxel and Cormac Phalen and Neal Pann.

Thank you for reading

"I've never met a woman architect before..."



I am now offering sponsorship opportunities and I am grateful for that. Please contact me via my website below for more information.




Comments

  1. Love it! Thanks for reporting from the front. Looking forward to Days 2 and 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to hire the best Architecture, Construction and Interior Designers in Islamabad Pakistan Then Visit Arco Desk Top 5 Architects in Islamabad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts