AIAcon18 day 2: Interview with Lora Teagarden

My own take on AIAcon18
in New York City!!!
Day 2




We're on the Radio City Music Hall Marquis!!!

Oh wow, Day 2, a little more caught up to EST, but it is about the longest day of the conference so I will have to post extra days to catch up on all of the things that I needed to include but that allows me to post more Interviews!!! And also as far as vendors there was a lot to cover!!!  I went to the AIA committee on Architecture for Education for my first session that day.  where Wendy Rogers was a speaker on a panel that discussed their winning decisions for the Architecture in Education Awards.  (Wendy Rogers of LPA interview will be posted on Day 3).






Interview with Lora Teagarden of RATIO Architects, Vice Chair of AIA Young Architects Forum (YAF), L2Design, LLC and author, #ArchiTalks Facilitator
"The future of architecture is ever evolving or at least it should be...
In YAF every five years we are looking at stategic planning... and moving forward we are looking at practice innovation...
How do we create equitable practice, because it is clearly something that we need to reorganize, how do you potentially create new business revenues, because currently architects are only thriving when their clients are building, so how do you create options where you can thrive in the lulls and that definately is something that we are invested in as a part of the future of architecture..."


Podcast w/ Lora Teagarden, AIA, click here to listen






Wendy and I went to school together at Cal Poly Pomona and went to the next Continuing Education Session (CES) "Succeeding with Research: Using Research to Build a Prosperous Firm" which I thought was a very good mix of firm size and type and showed that one can implement research in many different ways to build and prosper your firm, be it a large thousands plus like Perkins & Will, or the smaller firms of Hellmuth and Bicknese, Kerns Group Architects and MOS Architects, and how you can do research even in a firm that does residential.  So, that allowed both of us to see the perspective from each of our own firms, and that is OK!!!













We are all architects and while we may be somewhat different in practice, we are the same in many aspects as far as our dedication to the field of architecture as the different interviews that I post will reflect, everyone has the same questions, but anwers from their own perspective and that is a good thing, Diversity in the profession can mean a lot of different things!

So, that leads me to the Voices of Plurality Flash Mob for Diversity in the Profession and a similar statement that was delivered at the Venice Biennale recently and that was led by Rosa Sheng, Beverly Willis and others and yes, I was there with architect, Bob Borson, so this wasn't just a "woman and minority thing", it includes everyone.








Then it was on to the FAIA Ceremony at St. Patrick's Cathedral and this was one of the things that AIAcon18 did extremely well, getting to experience the architecture of the city we were in while we were attending the events was great because as I have mentioned several times, it was a lot of things crammed into a little bit of time!  So, I'm not going to lie, the Fellows ceremony can run long and we were there to see people from Chakrabarti to Zuber so we were there for pretty much the entire time but like most of the time I am in a church, I am looking up and as far as places to get F'd in, this is the place to do it.  And I'm pretty sure that any chance I have ever had (besides the fact that I haven't paid my dues, literally) will never happen because of that statement above if other people's experiences are correct.













Rosa Sheng, ...FAIA




Dawn Zuber,...FAIA






(Though the places weren't always close to each other, thanks to Nicholas Corniea for convincing me to walk the 10+ blocks from Javits to the Cathedral, the 10+ blocks to the bar and luckily just around the corner to Radio City...)











you never know what you will find behind closed doors...





So, after a quick drink it was on to Radio City Music Hall for the Keynotes, which I hadn't made it the night before for Keynote 1, but Keynote 2 was great as far as the speakers including James Polshek who I thought gave a great acceptance speech for the AIA Gold Award, I liked seeing Billie Tsien and Tod William's place in Carnegie Hall which I had seen the presentation by her before but it really speaks to the modest quarters that most architects live in in spite of the fact that we are designing great spaces for others...






which brings me to the main Keynote, Sheela Sogaard (my apologies for not being able to put the danish o in) CFO for BIG (Bjarke Ingalls Group) for presenting a lecture on business that architects paid attention to.

And a Danish lesson that maybe we can learn here, because

one: a striking wife and mother of three can turn the finances of an international architecture firm around to make it profitable because:

https://goo.gl/images/DgUaYK

And two, They listened to her and did what she said.

So, I was then invited to go to the Copacobana by Times Square for the CCAIA Fellows Reception, my thanks to Britt Lundberg and Ian Merker, who I got to know while we worked on the California Architects Board California Supplemental Exam, (shhhhhh...... it's a secret) and talking with some architects from Orange County who are working on breaking the "Behind the Orange Curtain" stereotype, they had me laughing pretty hard, or maybe it was just the wine talking ;)









and I went and then two women architects from California and I walked back to the hotel, skipping The Party, but we got some great night shots:









Good night!


Here is a clip from Jordan Oberhaus from La Cantina Doors on the Expo floor, They are built in San Diego, parent company Jeld-Wen. and if you are ever in the area, give them a call and get a tour of the factory.  I spoke to him regarding their Bi-Fold Door. They have new products coming out all the time and you can go to their website at www.lacantinadoors.com/
And they also are at Priority Door and Window, speak to Mike Schott in Southern California at www.prioritydoorwindow.com/LaCantina/LargeShowroom‎(












Interviews to come:

Wendy Rogers of LPA
Mark LePage of EntreArchitect and Fivekat Architects
Bob Borson of "Life of an Architect" and Malone Maxwell Borson Architects
Cherise Lakeside of @CheriseLakeside and @fixconstruction
Rosa Sheng of SmithGroup and EquityxDesign

And more views from inside the sessions and Keynotes!!!

Check back soon and you can see all of our Instagram memories of AIAcon18 by searching #aiacon18 and our #architalks group, Bob Borson "Life of an Architect" and EntreArchitect and
Jeff Echols, Archispeak group Evan Troxel and Cormac Phalen and Neal Pann.

Thank you for reading

"I've never met a woman architect before..."


I am now offering sponsorship opportunities and I am grateful for that. Please contact me via my website below for more information.






Comments

Popular Posts