Notes on #WFH Fashion #Archimom & an Interview w/ Danei Cesario, AIA





I have followed this architect on Instagram for a couple of years now because I just really like her style, even though I could never pull it off, because I think it requires an iron/steamer, a steady dose of dry cleaning, and a closet that is way more organized than mine ever will be.
This is Danei Cesario, of Instagram handle @daneicesario

Danei Cesario AIA, RIBA, NCARB, NOMA is the 333rd black female architect in American history. Hailing from Manchester, England, she is an internationally licensed architect, project manager, + public speaker. She is currently part of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (SOM), managing dynamic mixed-use development, healthcare + wellness projects. With over a decade of experience, her leadership has been a significant factor in repeat partnerships.
Beyond the office, Danei’s passion for architecture + advocacy has led her to become a champion for design professionals + a sought-after speaker. Her experience working in diverse, global environments has yielded speaking engagements at numerous national + international conferences + private sector events, including the United Nations, SXSW, Royal Institute of British Architects, AIA National Conference + the New York Building Congress.

Danei served as chair of AIA New York’s Diversity & Inclusion Committee for over five years. Currently, she serves on the AIA New York State Board, representing nearly 10,000 members across 13 chapters.  She is a contributor/ambassador to organizations including Beverly Willis Architecture Foundation, Parlour, Stephen Lawrence Charitable Trust + nycobaNOMA Executive Board. Danei is dedicated to fostering Mentorship, Sponsorship + Leadership within the design community.  She founded WALLEN + daub to expand on these principles.

Interview with Danei Cesario, AIA: click here to listen



AIA'19 Vegas
Danei's three (or four) classic buildings:

Pantheon in Rome






Sagrada Familia by Gaudi



Coliseum in Rome


Lever House in NYC by SOM
(Natalie De Blois, project architect)

Lever House in NYC by SOM
(Natalie De Blois, project architect)


So this was supposed to be a light-hearted #WFH fashion piece to try and make people feel good about how they had succomed to slobbiness and then we had the last week and it just makes me sad and it makes me angry and it makes me think about how there are only 500 African American women architects in the United States and it is sad enough that there are lower amounts of any women in he leadership of architecture firms here, but to think that there are so little that are getting licensed and to see that so little changes in our profession over the years.  There are always promises that things will get better, but thirteen years go by and it's still the same stuff.  As Danei says, "Walk the walk, don't just show up for the Women's March once a year and then go off and do whatever you want to for the rest of the year.




I went through old architecture magazines in the garage and it was still the same issues that we have been talking about for years and yet there is no change.  It used to be that people said, "we can't telecommute with architecture, so women (and men) couldn't pursue a position in an architecture firm that required team players, they end up being sole proprietors or small firm owners who can work from home.  Now we are looking at the racial disparity of this field. I say in this interview with Danei, that I feel like architecture is a career for white men and mostly white men who have come from money and still this occupation is a hazard for women and people of color. And it always ends up with "But I don't want people to think of this firm as a "woman owned firm" I just want it to be known as a firm that has good design", well of course it will (if someone wants to mention it) but of course people don't.  I get frustrated and from just being a woman and not being heard in a room

Make the effort, as Michelle Obama said,


"Be the voice for the people who don't have one."



My Mask: COVID Fashion



I asked my interviewees if they wanted to submit their #WFH #fashion and here are the ones who submitted and their interviews, click on the link...


Meghana Joshi, Assoc AIA
Interview with Meghana Joshi



Lawrence Scarpa, FAIA
Interview with Lawrence Scarpa



Neal Pann, AIA
Interview with Neal Pann with Archispeak



William J. Martin, AIA
Interview with William J. Martin




Jeff Echols, Assoc. AIA
Interview with Jeff Echols




Britt Lindberg, AIA
Interview with Britt Lindberg




Bob Borson, FAIA
Interview with Bob Borson



Wendy Rogers, FAIA
Interview with Wendy Rogers



Michael Malinowski, FAIA
Interview with Michael Malinowski





Interview with Ingalil Wahlroos-Ritter


And some more work from home blog fashion and if i can sell 100 i will model it in my (online) storefront, i better get working on those 100 sit-ups.




"I've never met a woman architect before..." Tees, Camis, Tanks, Panties, and Kid's Tees and Onesies










my worry doll

A few years ago, maybe five years ago now, I helped out with crafts (which was this "worry doll") at our church's vacation bible school (VBS) as I have done since my kids were young. I think that might have been the last year that I helped out because I realized that I could have my kids all go and volunteer and I could get a break and work or do something on my own at the house/office.  I again look forward to that time alone in the house for even a brief moment, though I do love them all dearly.  I carried this little objet d'art in my purse or a bag for years and then I must have taken it out and I found it in my nightstand drawer as I am trying to organize (a major fail of mine in my own space when I am trying to live and work with 3-4 other people in 1200, soon to be 1685, sq. ft.)
But I am amused by the fabric that i picked for her, it is something that I would probably wear if I was dressing for some 70's costume party...

I  know that we are staying at home #WFH and I still am the biggest "online" window shopper.  I rarely buy anything online because I am one of those people who wants to touch the product, feel the fabric, try on the clothes, pick up the glasses, pick up the tiles, stone, wood construction material, I am a very visual, but I am also a very tactile observer so it is hard for me to be picking out things online.  I don't usually choose clothes or shoes online because I like to try them on and I am picky about how things fit, so unless I know the brand and can just order the same size that I usually wear, I am not a very successful online shopper.  One of the brands that I enjoyed, Leon Max, Max Studio used to be at the local Macy's and they used to have an online website but they got rid of both.  Now they are some regular and outlet stores, but I don't have any near me but that has been a good financial savings for me!

So of course with all of these products being touted online now, I have been looking and I put things in the shopping cart but never "checkout" and then if I still want them a week or so later, I will look again and I did purchase two things from this Modern Citizen that actually fit a few weeks ago!



modern citizen

go local
Flynn Skye: Venice, CA





I don't know where i would ever wear these clothes but i do like them, maybe these should be my wfh outfits as i would never leave the house but ya gotta live a little, right????

"Ladies, Ladies, Ladies" by Fiona Apple

Comments

Popular Posts