Top Ten of 2018





Hope you had a Happy New Year!!!!


a ride by central park



So this year has gone by pretty fast, as fast as this taxi going past Central Park...and I have gone to a few conferences and had an “amazing” time with the start of my “15+/- minutes with an architect” interviews. On 5-6 questions with an intro and a closing. If you are interested in hearing them (of course you are) you can follow the links to the blogs that have the interviews at this time, it might be a little different in the future.

Coming up this year will be Marilyn Moedinger and hopefully promised but not committed to a date certain:
Jeanette Coran, Stefanie Wagstaff, Kristi Byers, Cherise Lakeside and Rosa Sheng.

Then coming up before the Inaugural AIA California Housing Forum on March 29, 2019, in Newport Beach at the Civic. Center is the Keynote Speaker, Moderators and Panelists of the Forum, we are awaiting approval but I am the Chair of the Housing Forum committee...

The AIA Conference 2019, (is it AIA’19?) I wasn’t sure about this when you go from New York City (I have five blog posts for AIA’18 alone) to Las Vegas, it will be culture shock and I have never been a fan of the city, basically because I don’t really drink and I don’t gamble (because I don’t want to spend any money but I do believe this will be “exciting” and I have heard of some great plans in the works, and I can’t wait to be on PST so that I can get to those 7am sessions!!!.

And then in October, the Monterey Design Conference, which I believe I will attend because it’s my birthday weekend and what's better than to be at Asilomar in Pacific Grove  in the fall, I only went once and I was not an attendee, I was “just a spouse with a newborn”, so I really got to just relax and play the whole time (as much as you can be playing with a newborn). We shall see who is going and presenting!

So here's the top 10 (not in any particular order except there are 10) for 2019
10. Starting the plans for an addition for my own domestic abode. (Yes, it’s only number 10 because it’s an addition to a house that I never thought we would be in for more than five years but we are and here goes!!!

9. Presenting at the AIA San Diego and Palomar Design Awards
My thanks to everyone who had to listen to me inside and outside the venue, enough said.



8.   Going to see Billie Tsien (and Tod Williams in a surprise appearance) lecture at the Neurosciences and have him take our photo. They showed their work thus far on the Obama Center in Chicago, and because I have never been to Chicago outside of the airport, I can hardly wait to see it !!!!! They talked about the experience of working on the neurosciences building and the acoustician was actually in the audience and was able to say thank you to Tod and Billie for their compliments on his work and was able to talk about the experience that he had with them and I will just say that things got pretty emotional (in a good way).


four women architects by tod williams
billie tsien, kristi byers, monica fejer & me

7. Equity x Design
This is for everyone!!!
If you didn't get a chance to read the Holiday Gift List for 2018, you can read it here and donate to EquityXDesign, the organization and movement of the year.


"I've never met a woman architect before... Holiday Gift List 2018


6. Construct 2018 with Cherise Lakeside and the Archispeak crew.
I got a chance to get up to Long Beach for the day to attend the first day of Construct 2018, so that I could rearrange furniture and set the stage for fun!!! Thanks to Cherise for giving up her lunch and Mike Riscica of Young Architect ARE Study Prep for letting me sit at his table.


Coramc Phalen, Evan Troxel and Neal Pann
Archispeak Interview at -#Construct2018.


5. Being made the chair of the inaugural event “AIA California housing Forum,, I have no idea who nominated me for this but I am grateful, I really am, I’m not going to lie. It’s a responsibility and I wasn’t sure that I could live up to it, but it seems to be working out fine.  The date was moved to March 29th, 2019!!!  Link below





AIA California Housing Forum 2019 info and registration


4.  #ArchiTalks posts and starting these interviews within the blog. I guess they are like mini podcasts and I am not sure about the possibility of putting them in that format, but we shall see!!!

aiacon18 Day 1, Interview with Vishaan Chakrabarti

aiacon18 Day 2 Interview with Lora Teagarden

aiacon18 Day 3 Interview with Wendy Rogers

/aiacon18 Day 3.1 Interview with Mark LePage

aiacon18 Day 3,2 interview with Bob Borson





3. AIA CRAN 2018 Cincinnati
I became the Chair CRAN (Custom Residential Architecture Network) San Diego and Palomar Chapters Knowledge Community so we have been doing some interesting events and I was able to attend the Symposium this year for  the first time and it was pretty great.  I got to see some great residential projects and meet with other architects who practice residential as well as practicing other types of architecture, yes, we can do residential and other types of architecture at the same time in the same practice.









AIA CRAN Symposium 2018 Cincinnati: Interview with Robert Swinburne of Bluetime Collaborative







AIA CRAN Symposium 2018 Cincinnati Interview with Tim Martin of Martin Architecture





CRAN Symposium Wrap-up: Interview with Marilyn Moedinger of Runcible Studios

2. AIA’18 New York This was a great conference.  Here's some of my photos from the trip and look at the above links in for the blogs and interviews .















1. Making it through another year as an wife, mother and architect, it’s never easy, especially with the “new normal” but I have been able to do some wonderful things this past year and let’s keep looking positive in 2019!










birthdays at the beach

vacation with the kids

 architalks with friends




Thank you to all of the architects I know, you truly are all "Starchitects" in my eyes and I thank you to all of my followers on social media for reading "I've never met a woman architect before..." and retweeting and spreading the word about it.


Happy New Year and here’s to one day not hearing,

 “I’ve never met a woman architect before...”



Comments